Sunday 19 October 2008

Muhyiddin has this to say

I Respect Transition Plan, Will Explain To PM If Needed: Muhyiddin

KOTA KINABALU, Oct 19 (Bernama) -- International Trade and Industry Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Mohd Yassin, who is contesting for the deputy presidency in the March Umno elections, said he has always respected the transition plan that has been agreed upon and reiterated that his comments were merely on the campaign period.

"I respect the transition plan that has been agreed upon. I was the first one who responded to say I respected it, I accepted it, I don't ask anything about it anymore because that has been agreed upon by the leaders, council members, it is good that we stand by with the decision.

"I was just stating facts, if it (the campaign period) is long, it's long. I didn't propose beyond what I said," he told reporters after attending the state Barisan Nasional Backbenchers Club (BNBBC) hari raya get together here, today.

Asked if he would make clarifications to Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi directly, Muhyiddin replied: "I will definitely want to explain, no problem, if the Prime Minister wants me to explain what I said."

On a question if he believed Abdullah had misunderstood what he was trying to say, Muhyiddin said many people did not understand what he was saying.

"Datuk Seri Najib also asked me two days ago whether I've read the report that came out in Utusan Malaysia."

Actually I said, I was just commenting on people asking me about four months of campaign period, is it long or not? So I said of course it's long, that's it," he explained.

"I don't even touch on the transition plan, I was just responding to a question with regard to the campaign period," he added.

Muhyiddin said he had been advised by many of his friends to be patient with the situation and not give further comments that could be misinterpreted.

Asked if he believed he could continue functioning properly in the cabinet now that some members might be upset with him, he said: "I have no problem because I delivered what I'm supposed to do. I sat together with the Prime Minister in all the cabinet meetings and other important meetings."

Meanwhile on him qualifying to contest the Umno deputy president's post, he thanked all the divisions that had given him their support.

"I'm very encouraged with this positive development, but of course I hope this will not stop, (I hope they) will continue just to give me the much needed support. At the end of the day, of course I hope to win," he added.-- BERNAMA

Muhyiddin's statement above was in respond to what the Prime Minister said in Kota Kinabalu on Saturday. The story is reproduced below.

Abdullah Lashes At Mahathir For Behaving Like Party Election Director

KOTA KINABALU, Oct 19 (Bernama) - Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi lashed out at Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad whom he described as behaving like the party elections director who decides "the leaders in the Umno party and whom should be removed".


He said Umno had never needed instructions from leaders who were not in the party.

"Who is Tun (Dr Mahathir) who has left Umno and trying to issue orders to Umno people which should be followed?"

He is behaving like the director for the party elections, determining so and so should hold such a position...this person should hold this position, who needs to be in the party, who needs to be removed. What right has he to do this," he said at a press conference at Terminal 2, Kota Kinabalu International Airport, here Saturday night.

Abdullah said this when commenting on Dr Mahathir's statement wanting Umno delegates to "remove Abdullah's men" in the party elections in March. "

Actually he wants to create changes, anger and hatred

."Is it really wrong for people to work with me. Should those people who don't speak and don't make noise be considered as bad people...people who have never done good for Umno and the government."Who is he to make such decisions. This will create hatred among Umno members, teaching Umno members to quarrel among themselves," he said.

Abdullah said he had decided not to defend his Umno presidency to avoid quarrels among party members.

"Because of the contests which normally happen especially at the top level, there will be splits. We should learn from what had happened in the past.

"Such talks will raise anger among those who are considered unacceptable, (those who) must be sidelined. I consider what Tun had done had actually led to quarrels within Umno," he said.

According to the Prime Minister, what Dr Mahathir had called for would not bring any good."Is this the reform that we want...We have freedom, every Umno member has the freedom to contest."I hear that there was an attempt by someone to ask Ali Rustam (Melaka Chief Minister), who wants to contest the deputy president's post, to withdraw...Why ask Ali to withdraw? What is bad about Ali."

Let him contest and let Umno people decide whether they want Ali or otherwise," he said.In this matter, Umno members did not need outsiders to give orders."It's better for Tun not to speak at all today," he said.

Meanwhile, Abdullah was also disappointed when Umno vice-president Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, who is also International Trade and Industry Minister, did not heed the decision on the power transition in March which had been agreed upon between him and Najib."

Actually it was him (Muhyiddin) who had raised the issue on speeding up the power transition by making statements abroad, in Singapore."

Everyone had agreed. They themselves had not said that they did not agree. Datuk Seri Mohd Najib and I had reached an agreement which was endorsed and agreed upon by the members of Umno Supreme Council," he said.

Abdullah said he had explained the reasons why he needed time that was agreed upon between him and Najib, among them, there were matters pertaining to reforms that he wanted to implement and table at the Dewan Rakyat sitting.

"Is he afraid of the reforms. Does he not want the reforms. Is it one way of frustrating these efforts whereas the people want the reforms."

The people were angry with me for not fulfilling the promises. That's why it was in the 2004 manifesto when I contested, when we won the 2004 general election with a landslide victory."

Why is he making such suggestions? It means that he wants to frustrate the actions that I have planned for implementation."The point is that there is an agreement. Why want to raise it again? Can't wait to become deputy president. That is if there is enough support for him (Muhyiddin)," Abdullah added.-- BERNAMA

1 comment:

Letting the time pass me by said...

Maybe someone is now getting more concern that his SIL will not win the UMNO election...