Saturday, 27 December 2008

Sarawak lawyer's murderer to hang

KUCHING: The man who assassinated lawyer Fabian Lim Ann Hoaw in 2005 was yesterday sentenced to death by hanging.
High Court judge Datuk Clement Allan Skinner, in finding the accused Ling Kiang Chai guilty as charged, said Ling, in his defence, had failed to cast doubt on the prosecution’s case.
Ling, the sole defence witness, was convicted under Section 302 of the Penal Code.
Ling, who has a previous murder conviction in another case that occurred in Sibu in 1992, was defended by assigned counsel Sapuan Ahmad while Senior Federal Counsel in Sarawak, DPP Fazillah Begum Abdul Ghani, prosecuted.
The prosecution called 35 witnesses to testify against the accused.
Skinner said he did not accept Ling’s ‘defence’ that the hitman was a person known as Ah Bee and that Ling was just the rider of the motorcycle used in the murder.
Skinner said Ling was involved in the murder even though the other accused was still at large as both had a common intention to murder Lim at 6.15pm on Feb 18, 2005 in front of a food centre in Jalan Rubber – roughly about 200 metres from Lim’s legal office here.
Even though he may not be the hitman, Ling still had that common intention with the person still at large to commit murder.
Lim succumbed to gunshot wounds on the neck. He was shot at point-blank while reversing his car just after he had a meal with his wife Lennie Chin.
The court also found that Ling received a package containing RM64,000 from a person in Taman Malihah after the hit. He then paid another man and his creditor with some of that money.
Police investigators revealed that the hitman used a semi-automatic pistol with bullets of the 0.45mm type commonly found in other Asean countries like the Philippines, Thailand and Indonesia.
Investigators, too, did not rule out revenge and works-related litigation cases that Lim had handled as possible motives of the murder.
Ling was arrested at a house in Ulu Sungai Merah in Sibu at 6am on March 2, 2005 following the arrests of several other persons in Sibu and here.
During the tragic incident Chin, 53, was slightly injured on the right arm due to shattered glass splinters.
Lim was 56 when he was fatally shot. He left behind Chin and their three children.
Lim, a litigation lawyer and co-partner of Lim and Lim Advocates, was laid to rest at the Nirvana Memorial Park in Bau on Feb 22 2005.
On Nov 20 last year, the Federal Court upheld a High Court decision in finding Ling guilty of raping and killing a 14-year-old girl Heu Li Poh in 1992. He committed the Sibu rape and murder together with three other men.
In upholding the conviction, the Federal Court reversed a 2003 Court of Appeal decision to discharge and acquit Ling. This story from HERE

No comments: